Monthly Archives: March 2006

Office 2007 UI Screen Shots

If you want a sneak peak at the Office 2007 UI, there’s a series of screen shots available here:
Leave a comment

Posted by on March 10, 2006 in Musings


Adobe Acrobat Reader loads slow… speed it up!

OK, so I’m on my bill payment site and I click on the bill to view it.  The bill is in .pdf format, so Adobe Acrobat Reader begins to open… tick… tock… tick… tock… tick… tock… FINALLY after a mere 18 seconds, the page is displayed.  True, subsequent loads is faster, but why on earth does it take so long to open!
And so the time came to optimize my Adobe Acrobat Reader load time.
The reason Adobe Acrobat Reader takes so long to load is because of the hoard of API’s it loads.  Most of these are not needed and can be safely ignored.  So here’s my *magical* formula for speeding up Adobe Acrobat Reader load time.
  • Unload any Adobe Acrobat Reader in memory.
    • Bring up the task manager by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del.
    • Sort by "Image Name".
    • Kill all tasks named "AcroRd32.exe".
  • Navigate to C:\Programe Files\Adobe\Acrobat X.X\Reader replacing "X.X" with your version number.  You will note a "plug_ins" folder.
  • Copy the "plug_ins" folder.
    • Press Ctrl+C
    • Press Ctrl+V
  • Navigate to the "plug_ins" folder.
  • Select all files except:
    • EWH32.api
    • printme.api
    • Search.api
  • Delete all the selected files leaving only the three noted before.

And that’s all it takes.
My Adobe Acrobat Reader load time went from 18 seconds to 2 seconds!!!



Posted by on March 6, 2006 in Tips


Great Plains Country Code Table

On my current project, we’re having to add about 230 countries to Great Plains… a tedious task at best.  So we figured we’d just find the table in SQL Server and load it’s data to the other GP companies as well as the Prod environment and save someone having to enter all that data again… right… WRONG!!!
Maybe I just don’t know how to search for info, but I could not find a download for GP help files anywhere on  I also couldn’t find any information anywhere that would tell me which table this information would be located in and of course GP table naming conventions is not intuitive enough to spot the table by looking at the database.
We ended up generating a database creation script and then text searching it for the CCode field until we found the table we were looking for.
It turns out the table we needed was VAT10001.  (But of course!  I should have known that! )

Posted by on March 1, 2006 in Great Plains