Well, I haven’t blogged in a while… OK, so it’s only been a couple of days, but I really wanted to put out an update after the Office 12 TAP Technology Preview event from last week.
The event went very well. My highest commendation to Microsoft for organizing a very well planned and executed event. We had busses and shuttles to go everywhere and there was great breakfast and lunches provided daily. Meeting with the product teams on Friday was a great opportunity to get connected with the teams. Most attendees didn’t take advantage of this opportunity and it’s a shame really. Of course, it did mean we had about 20 product team members and about 10 of us in a room at one point. What a great time we had discussing O12!
Anyway, so my plan only landed in Indianapolis, my home town, around 22h30. By the time we got home and I got to spend some time with Oscar and Maggie, it was past midnight already. At that point I was just too tired to blog. So I figured I’d do it on Saturday.
I woke up on Saturday and started preparing for Day 3 of our Barn Building Experience. We tore down our previous postage stamp of a barn (8’x8′) about two months ago. Since then the lawn tractor and garden tools have been sleeping under a tarp. I decided to get a bigger barn measuring 12’x12′. I have a friend who has built a couple before who said he’d be happy to help me build mine. I took him up on the offer and off we went.
Day 1 of BBE we managed to set the concrete blocks for the foundation, build the floor framework and set the deck boards. So by the end of Day 1, we had a deck… essentially… I stained the deck black Walnut and finding a non rainy Saturday about 4 weeks later, we started Day 2 of BBE.
At the end of Day 2, we had the back wall and the two side walls up and the barn was starting to look good. Of course then it rained for days and all the walls got wet. I had to wait for the walls to dry out at least a little bit before staining them too. That took another 4 weeks or so.
Finally, we got another day scheduled, this past Saturday. Rob came over and we got started around 11h00. We hauled a boat load of stuff from Lowes to complete the barn. By the end of Day 3 we had the rafters for the roof up, but no roof yet. We knew we needed to get the roof up or a rainstorm could cause some serious damage. We took the plunge and decided to work on it again on Sunday. By BBE Day 3 we had a floor, three walls and rafters for the roof. Rob, Diana, Amy and I all went to dinner on Saturday. We had a great time and just hung out. By the time we got back home it was past midnight… so I didn’t blog on Saturday either…
I woke up on Sunday and we got started with BBE Day 4 around 09h00. It was a scorcher of a day. Of course the heat wasn’t the biggest problem, the humidity was what just killed me! We managed to get the roof up, get the tar paper covering the particle board and set the drip covers on the edges. Now we actually have a barn that looks like, and is usable as a barn. Of course it still needs quite a bit of work such as:
- Shingle the roof… a project for the evenings.
- Stain the remaining parts that isn’t stained yet.
- Complete the roof storage platform.
- Install the door.
- Paint with final weather protector.
Needless to say, I was wiped out by the time BBE Day 4 was done… so I didn’t blog on Sunday either…
Now that you know how my weekend was, and I’m all caught up on blogging, I can spend some time processing all the info I got from the O12 TAP!